When a lamb rabbit appears in the house, it is necessary to make adjustments to the usual rhythm of life of people. Beautiful, funny rabbit is not a toy. You can not put it on the shelf to admire from time to time. It is a living creature with its character, habits. Pet needs attention and love. Before you start an animal, you need to think carefully, weigh the pros and cons.
The first mentions of rabbits with ears that run down along the head can be found in the writings of Charles Darwin. But at that time nobody else was engaged in their selection. They start talking about the French rabbit already in 1850. The English rabbit ram is also a very ancient breed. Crossing these two breeds, and then deducing among themselves, breeders began to receive unusual and fascinating breeds of animals. They live on average up to 5-7 years.
Exterior features and character.
The ram can be of different sizes. The largest representatives reach impressive body weight – up to 8-10 kg. The name “ram” refers to the external features of eared fish. Shells turn Their ears to the head and go down along it. But in newborn rabbits, this form of ears is formed up to 6 weeks of age. The skull is large and massive. In general, there is a strong similarity between the head with the lamb. But eared ears can reach a length of 70 cm.
The coat color is the most varied: blue, brown, gold, etc. The wool can be variegated: stained, speckled. These “coats” are always in price, and there is a massive demand for them. Lop-eared sheep can be a source of tender and juicy meat, valuable wool, or it is cared for and cherished throughout life as a pet.
Character have eared very friendly. It quickly gets used to people, easily learn new living conditions. They are very curious and playful, willingly play with children, love affection. Females with proper care and maintenance can bring six young rabbits in one litter.
Types of lop-eared breed.
Breeds are very different in appearance and quality characteristics.
- Meissen Fold Ewe – a very rare breed, the native place of its habitat is the country of Germany.
- French ram – a common species in all countries.
- English Ears are owners of very large ears and tiny front paws.
- Plush rabbit It has such a name because of the external features – soft, short and thick wool.
- Fluffy Fluffy It has a long coat of wool.
- The smallest breeds can be attributed dwarf and dutch representatives of the hare family. Dwarf breeds live mostly at home.
All these breeds are united by a very beautiful appearance, great value of “fur coat” and high quality of rabbit meat.
Conditions of maintenance.
Rabbit diet must be complete and include a variety of foods:
- sheep prefers carrots, broccoli, potatoes, etc. from vegetables. It is not necessary to feed it with cauliflower and white cabbage, tomatoes, beetroot, potato battles.
- In the summer, a good source of vitamins will be fresh and slightly dried meadow grass, nettle, dandelion.
- Wheat and oats are suitable for grain crops.
- in winter, the lop-eared ram will not refuse an armful of fragrant dry grasses.
Cage and tray.
Cell Ushastik should be spacious in size (not less than 0.5 * 0.7 m.). Tray it is better to install it in a corner and attach it behind the walls so that the Fuzzy cannot overturn it. You can use the tray for cats for these purposes. The most convenient form for a tray – triangular. Read more about choosing a tray here. In such a “dwelling” dwarf fluffy live comfortably.
It is necessary to monitor the cleanliness of the feeders and take care of the constant availability of clean water. Animals often eat, and their gastrointestinal tract works on the principle of pushing food through the receipt of new portions of food. Pets can eat and immediately defecate. For convenience, the feeder with hay can be placed above the tray.
The best material for bedding is well-dried wood chips or finely chopped newspaper, which is not printing ink.
How to tame?
Ram is a freedom-loving animal, so do not try to achieve their methods of shouting and violence.
- No need to force the kid to leave his “home”. Just open the cage door and wait for a bit.
- The rabbit will be interested in slipping away to freedom, but at first, it can get into a corner and watch the actions of a person with caution. His gentle intonation in the host’s voice and a piece of some rabbit delicacy will calm him down.
- Not every pet behaves calmly after leaving the cage. He can be aggressive even when trying to stroke a person and will not notice how the eared mouse suddenly bit his finger. The reason lies in the fear or sexual arousal of the animal. To calm the pet, you need to gently but firmly press it to the floor. The males in the heat of “battles” jump on each other’s back to show their dominance over the rival. Therefore, the baby should immediately be shown who the boss is.
- If the rabbit has a hot nose, you must see how much the thermometer shows tick marks. A slight excess can report an excited state, but if the temperature exceeds 40 ° C, you need to sound the alarm. This condition is dangerous to the pet’s life. Immediate help from a veterinarian is required. Before his arrival, you can try to slightly reduce the heat with ice packs.
Vaccination and illnesses of the breed.
When the lop-eared rabbit reaches the age of 45 days, and its weight is 0.5 kg, it is time for vaccination. The animal must be protected from diseases:
- Hemorrhagic disease (UHD).
Ten days before the vaccination procedures, the animal must be given drugs for worms. If this is not done, during the development of antibodies from the disease, when the rabbit’s body is under tremendous pressure, the health of the animal can be greatly shaken (if there are worms after all).
If you do not follow the health of pets, dwarf breeds do not live long. Proper care and timely vaccinations are critical to them.
The vaccine can be administered in an associated version (it is called “UHBK and M” vaccine) and contain two types of vaccine for one or another disease at once, or only one kind of vaccine is administered with respect for the time interval between the administration of myxomatosis vaccine and UHHB vaccine.
In this case, vaccination for myxomatosis occurs on the 28th day from the moment of birth of the little rabbit, and the composition from hemorrhagic disease is injected on the 45th day. The revaccination allowing to fix results is carried out after three months. And then follow the scheduled procedure every 6-8 months.
Vaccine “M” and “VGBK” separately cost an average of 60 to 70 rubles for 10 injections, and the combined (associated) version of the vaccine is estimated at about 230-250 rubles. The price of vaccines may exceed this cost – it depends on the delivery conditions and the price of the manufacturer. In this case, the averaged data are given.
Sterilization and castration.
At the onset of puberty, the rabbit ram begins to mark the territory. He behaves restlessly, can become aggressive. Rabbit is no longer interested in playing with children. He can use plush toys at all to the destination. The owners look anxiously at the throwing of the sick animal and understand that something needs to be done urgently. Little ears do not live a healthy life and almost go crazy, despite the full care. And no matter how much the hosts fight, the madness continues.
Sterilization becomes a solution to the problem for females and castration for males. After the operation, the ram becomes calm and peaceful. He has a healthy appetite again. He sleeps peacefully, and he again begins to interest the game.
Females can be sterilized from 4 months. But many veterinarians are inclined to believe that it is better to carry out the operation after reaching six months of age – a stronger and more mature body recovers faster after surgery.
For males, the best period for castration is from 3.5 to 5 months. Is it possible to carry out the operation to individuals who have reached the age of 1-3 years? There is no definitive answer to this question. But experts believe that in this case, the pets endure the operation much harder. Before it is carried out, it is necessary to check the condition of the internal organs and pass all the necessary tests. Dwarf fluffy live for several years, so you can not risk their health without weighing the decision. And then they will need long and careful care.
What games does the pet like?
Rabbit ram, in his spare time, prefers:
- jump on the hill;
- make your way through the long tunnels;
- to tear one’s teeth with everything that gives in to them, how many things in front of them are not found;
- throw balls, chasing small objects that roll, jump;
- dig holes and digs.
A played pet is amusing and fun, but if he does not have suitable toys, then hold on, master! The rabbit ram will tear off the trim on the armchairs, peel off the wallpaper that has slightly peeled off the wall, tear the newspaper in a hurry and throw it in a hurry and do a lot of bad things. From the owner, this is complete devastation, and the eared one is simply pleased with it and does not know that the thought torments the person: to hit him with a sneaker or not.
There should be no valuables for people in the playing area.
You can not buy a “crawl in a bag.” Before you buy Ears, you need to examine it carefully:
- Eye sclera must be clean and shiny.
- A healthy pet’s nose is cold and wet.
- Matted wool and the frequent need for scratching may indicate fleas.
- If the animal constantly licks the anus and seeks to crouch down on the floor – it may be infected with worms.
- Slack, empty belly, protruding bones, dull eyes may indicate diseases of the internal organs.
- Bald spots on the body – a sign of depriving.
A healthy pet is mobile and playful, and the sick one is indifferent and lethargic.
No matter how much people worry about their pets and promise not to burden themselves with the cares of their care, they still draw the heart to sweet and funny fluffies, who by their very presence make a person’s life much more interesting and happier.