Every experienced rabbit breeder knows: in the absence of high-quality drinkers, it is impossible to ensure these animals a normal existence. Without enough fresh drinking water, the animals become vulnerable. They get sick more often. Devices purchased at the store are not always suitable. Therefore, it will be helpful for novice breeders to know how to make a drinking bowl for rabbits with their own hands. This option combines cheapness and practicality.
A self-made drinker must meet several requirements:
- It is capacious. A cup that is designed for one rabbit should contain 1.0-1.5 liters of water (daily allowance). The volume of the chosen bottle must correspond to the number of rabbits living in one cage.
- Hygienic. A vessel with a reserve of water is needed closed: the water will not be contaminated by animal feces, wool and feed.
- Resistant. Suspended should be firmly fixed on the wall of the cage so that the rabbits do not overturn the tank with water: a wet floor in the cage is the most common cause of diseases of the limbs in these animals.
- Convenient. It is easy for the host to fill the tank with water, and for the rabbit to drink from it.
Even in the best drinking water, the water tends to bloom. In other words, algae appear in it. When this happens, the tank must be thoroughly washed and dried. If the “bloom” of water does not stop, it is better to replace the drinker with a new one.
There are several types of drinkers for rabbits:
- Cup. Cups, bowls, cans – they are often used as drinkers, but they have their drawbacks. First, animals can easily turn over a bowl of water. Secondly, wool or rabbits’ excrement can get into the open cup-type drinking bowl – the water will quickly become dirty. Experienced breeders do not recommend using similar containers when breeding rabbits.
- Nipple (teat). The operating mechanism of the device is represented by a tube with a nipple (ball) inside. When an animal pushes the balloon with its tongue, water drops are emitted. Hence the other name is the nipple. The mechanism of action is simple and practical. The advantage is that the tank is closed: from the point of view of hygiene, nipple drinkers are the most ergonomic. Unfortunately for rabbits, in winter the water in the nipple tube often freezes.
- Vacuum. They are also called drip. A bottle of water overturns over the capacity from which the animal is drinking. The liquid from the bottle is poured out gradually (it depends on how quickly the water will be drunk or evaporate). Vacuum drinkers for rabbits are also protected from ingestion of animal feces and wool, but in winter, the water in them is also subject to freezing.
So which option to choose? All of them with proper care is good. On improved farms, car drinkers are mainly used – complex systems consisting of:
- water tank;
- distribution tank;
- branched system of channels held to each cell.
Thus, it is not necessary to buy separate options for each rabbit. Automatic drinkers allow you to save time on the maintenance of animals. However, breeders with a small population are unreasonable to acquire such systems: they are expensive.
The construction of a vacuum drinker.
For the manufacture of vacuum drinking bowls for rabbits with their own hands requires a quality bottle. Their good packaging water pours a steady stream, not jerks. At the same time, the bottle does not lose its shape (does not bend in the sides).
When choosing a container, it is desirable to give preference to dark plastic containers. In the light water “blooms” faster, so this drinking bowl for rabbits will not last as long as we would like.
There is a simple and good way to drink rabbits:
- Between the bars of the cage at a height of 8-10 cm from the floor is mounted tray, designed for drinking.
- From the outside of the cage above this tray the bottle is tilted, it is fastened with the help of thick wire clamps. The bottleneck should not touch the bottom of the tray, otherwise water will not flow into the drinking trough.
Such homemade drinker is easy to manufacture and subsequent treatment. It will regularly serve his term, providing the rabbits with fresh clean water.
Nippelny drinking bowl in 10 minutes.
- plastic bottle with a volume of 1.0-1.5 liters;
- plastic hose;
- insulating tape;
- nipple nozzles;
- silicone sealant.
We describe the algorithm for the manufacture of nipple drinking bowls for rabbits with their own hands:
- Make a hole in the cap of the bottle. To this end, you can use a screwdriver or heated in a flame skewer for meat.
- Push the hose into the cap. If the diameter of the hole is larger than necessary, one end of the tube is required to be wound with tape. In this way, the width needed for a tight fit is achieved.
- Use sealant. In order to avoid leakage, the cover at the junction with the tube should be lubricated with sealant (on both sides).
- Insert the spout. Nipple spout (or cut the handle body with the ball) is inserted into the hose and also fixed sealant.
- Fix the drinker. The finished device must be placed on the outside of the cage. In this case, the hose is passed through the bars inside.
How to teach rabbits?
Usually from bowls, cups and other open containers, rabbits drink themselves. However, pets brought from the zoo market often do not know how to drink from the suspended (nipple) drinking bowls. The same is true of the little rabbits who have recently come into the world. In this case, each owner should know how to teach the rabbit to drinker.
The most effective option is to introduce the animal to how the device works. When the rabbit is sitting in a cage, the owner must press his finger on the nipple. Drops of water remaining on the fingers, you must show the rabbit: let him sniff them or lick. A similar procedure is recommended three or four times. The main thing is to be patient. Sooner or later, the animal will want to drink and, following the owner’s example, will begin to put pressure on the ball with the tongue to get water. Now, the accustomed rabbit will quench its thirst, skillfully using a nipple drinker.
Constant access to water is essential for the normal functioning of all organisms. Hand-made drinkers for rabbits will provide the animals with the necessary amount of liquid, while they will be more reliable than the purchased ones and will last longer.