The breed of dwarf lop-eared rabbit or ram, as it is also called, was bred in the middle of the twentieth century in Holland. He acquired such a name due to his appearance, namely, long drooping ears. These animals are endowed with pleasant appearance and miniature size. They are very popular with both adults and small children. And those with pleasure go with them to contact. Without requiring any special care, they become wonderful households.
Distinctive features of the species.
The main advantage of this breed is ears. Their length reaches thirty centimeters. The ears are thickened at the base and pressed to the head, although at birth the rabbits have standing ears. The rams have a short body and legs; the neck of the rabbits is almost invisible. The muzzle of the breed is flat, with a broad forehead and thick cheeks. The type is compact, strong build.
Dwarf rabbits have thick, soft hair of different lengths and colors, ranging from white to black. Fold breed needs special care and attention because they are fragile, and with any awkward movement may suffer.
The character of the rabbits is flexible, but this does not prevent them from being active and cheerful. Lop-eared ones are excellent pets that enjoy contact even with children.
The description of care for dwarf rabbits includes:
- Ears care, monitoring and timely cleaning of pollution.
- Systematic combing wool.
- Haircut claws every couple of months.
- The manifestation of attention to the sheep, otherwise their appeasability will be replaced by the reverse side of character.
- Providing animals with spacious cages suitable for its size. In the cage should fit the tray and place for the house.
- Their home should hold a bowl of hay and a drinker.
- The floor in the cage needs a whole, to avoid injury. The grate on the floor will damage the legs of the crawl.
- The ram’s house should be placed in a place without drafts and in a place inaccessible to direct sunlight.
Lop-eaves themselves monitor the condition of their wool. For this reason, they are very rarely bathed. The main thing is not to forget to regularly clean their cage and provide him with a daily clean tray. The ram is demanding of cleanliness and will not go to the dirty tray. Every day, give the rabbit two hours, allowing the animal to walk. The place chosen for the walk should be free from foreign objects, it can gnaw them. Join the ram in direct contact, and then the Dutch will get used to you faster.
Breed Nutrition Basics.
Hay – the basis of food lop-eared. Its presence in the feeder rams required. Do not forget to ensure that there is always water in the drinker. Grain mixtures and various cereals are needed for proper digestion of rabbits. They eat fruits and vegetables, but not before three months of age. For the dwarfs to always find what to nibble, they are given branches of fruit trees. However, they are given cereals and dandelions.
Add to the food herbs of different varieties, but pay special attention to their collection, rabbits eat only pure herbs. There are many varieties of herbs that are poisonous for rams. Therefore, be careful. To ensure your pets’ health, give them a supplement that contains minerals and vitamins in moderation.
Recommendations for choosing a breed representative.
In order not to lose the choice of the animal, you need to know what features to pay attention to when buying:
- It is recommended to purchase a rabbit from breeders, and not in the pet store.
- Pay attention to the behavior of the rabbit.
- Initially, look at the bunny’s nose, ears and belly. A good indicator is the absence of discharge and wounds.
- Make a purchase during the period when their wool does not climb. So you can not go wrong with the choice and be able to inspect the wool layer from the bald patches.
- Determine the sex of the rabbit, which one you need and inspect the genitals for the presence of redness.
Instructions for establishing contact with animals.
The ram is a breed and, like any other animal, it must feel that nothing threatens it. Otherwise you will not make contact with him and the rabbit may get sick. In order to create communication with the rabbit.
- Do not get the Dutch Fold out of the cage on your own; in this place, he should feel safe.
- Open the door and wait for the little rabbit to come out by itself.
- Come slowly to the house, do not frighten the ram with sharp movements.
- Use some of the food to tame it.
- It can agress during the period of mating or for fear
- When you show aggression in an animal towards you, demonstrate your dominant role. Some breeders are advised to gently push the rabbit to the floor, pressing down on its back. But it is better to consult a specialist.
- Be careful with the animal to notice the disease in time.
It is possible to determine that a dwarf ache if the temperature of his body exceeds thirty – nine degrees. The Dutch are sick when their hair loses its luster and becomes dull, the appetite disappears, and the activity of the animal decreases.
In addition to all this, inspect the animal’s teeth for damage. The correct Dutch bite is when the upper teeth cover the lower teeth. Check your ears for claws and damage. Clean the ears with an oiled ear stick. Look at your eyes and nose. Eyes are healthy when moderately moist, and there are no blemishes. The nose should be dry, without any foreign mucus.
Trimming claws, inspect their damage and the condition of the pillows, in time to see whether the inflammatory process has begun. After all, actions, feel the body of the rabbit: if he has no swelling or injuries. Wool requires special care, although they are elegant creations. On the breast, lumps suggest that the rabbit has a runny nose. Comb out the dirt on the fur coat.
After the analysis, if the state of the dwarf corresponds to all the listed parameters, immediately consult a doctor. Doing self-treatment is not worth it.