Newly-born chinchilla breeders, buying a beast, often have no idea how to care for it.
They begin to take the animal into their hands and play with it, not rarely against the will of the rodent.
Such actions frighten the chinchilla, and the process of accustoming to the hands can be delayed indefinitely.
What age is perfect to begin?
The training of young animals begins as early as the third week of life. At this age, they quickly learn to respond to their name and learn to perform simple commands.
For classes with a pet to bring success, it is better to spend them in the evening before eating. During this period, chinchillas are the most active and more willing to execute commands. If the beast is full, the proposed treat will not cause interest.
Methods and ways of taming.
Small chinchillas, hitting the house to a new owner, behave very fearfully. For this reason, do not immediately take them in your arms. The animal is naturally curious, and very soon, he wants to communicate.
For a chinchilla to get used to a person, you need to talk to her more often. At the same time, voice intonation should be calm. Try more often is near the cell, for the animal to see you and gradually get used to it.
To tame a young chinchilla you need to follow a specific algorithm:
- The first time you need to approach the cage with a pet slowly, so as not to scare him. Try not to make sudden movements do not make noise.
- Speak with your pet need a gentle, quiet voice. You should not get too close to the face of the animal, and even more so stretch your hands towards it.
- When the chinchilla stops hiding from you, you can try to open the door of the vivarium. All movements must be done smoothly and unhurriedly, nor any sharp sounds.
- After four days, try to treat your baby with a treat. It is necessary to give a delicacy only on an open palm. Animals begin to take food from the host’s hands in one or two weeks.
- After that, carefully try to take the chinchilla in your hands. No need to grab her by the scruff of the neck. Such actions of the animal are regarded as a snake attack and can bite the owner, and the girls can spray a stream of urine.
When the pet masters the new place, gets used to the smells and the owner, it will be possible to take him in his arms, where he will be happy to play.
Being outside their homes, chinchillas look in different directions to assess the situation and make sure there is no danger.
Some breeders, when approaching the vivarium, try to make soft noises. For example, clattering tongue. It is done so that the chinchilla knows that it is the owner.
After some time, the animal gets used to the sound, hearing it, runs to the meeting in anticipation of games and treats.
Young rodents quickly get used to the new owner. The main thing is to be patient. No need to rush things, forcibly take the animal in your arms. Such actions will only cause distrust and frighten the animal.
How to tame an old one?
Very often cases when inexperienced people buy an already matured beast. The period of taming depends on the following points:
- what conditions the rodent had before?
- did he have experience with man;
- scared whether the animal or not.
Of course, the process of domestication will go faster when the animal grew up in childhood, surrounded by people. But the wild beast is also possible to tame, and the main thing is to have patience.
Chinchillas very rarely shun contact with a person mostly animals willingly make contact with the right approach to domestication. With an adult pet, this process can take a long time.
In order for a chinchilla to get used to a new owner faster:
- The first few days do not disturb your pet. Let it settle in a new place, get used to the atmosphere and smells.
- In the cage you need to put a special house, in which the animal could hide.
- During the evening games chinchillas need to sit down to the cage and talk with the animal in a quiet calm voice. If the baby is not afraid, then you can proceed to the next step.
- Try to treat your pet with the hands of a treat, while talking with him. After some time, the animal will begin to climb on his hands.
- If you already had a nickname when buying an animal, you should not change it with a new one. Chinchilla, accustomed to responding to its name, quickly go to the contact.
Time to teach a pet to the hands will depend on whether he had contact with the person earlier. If not, the pet will be shy and most likely, constantly hiding in the house. During attempts of the person to stretch a hand to the chinchilla, the animal can bite.
To find an approach to such a pet, you need to give him time to adapt to new conditions. Only after that gradually accustom the beast to the presence of the owner.
If the previous owner paid a lot of attention to the chinchilla, it will be much easier to gain the trust of the animal. The animal will quickly realize that it does not threaten anything and will begin to take food out of their hands.
During taming it is important to observe safety measures. As soon as the chinchilla gets used to the owner, it will be interested in everything that surrounds it. Sly and curious rodents, lying on the hands of a person can jump out of the hands abruptly and run to explore new spaces.
It is essential to ensure that the windows and doors in the apartment are closed. Remove all items that the animal can break or nibble. Avoid chinchilla contact with other pets — at least the first time.
There should be no buttons on the owner’s clothes especially plastic. In addition, it is better that there is no varnish on the nails. Inquisitive animal used to taste everything.
What not to do?
During the training can not be forced to force the chinchilla to be in your hands. If the animal resists, it is better to return it to the cage.
When the pet is on hand, do not cover it with a palm on top. In the wild, animals have a lot of enemies, especially birds, so they are afraid of shadows.
You can not shout at chinchillas. They are frightened by a loud sound and sudden movements.
Chinchillas do not accept a forced attitude towards themselves. They need to be educated patiently as if it were your child. Show care, patience: only caress and individual attention you can achieve the location of the pet.