It’s always nice to enjoy your handiwork. And during the repair or construction, your joy from your work will be multiplied by maintaining the family budget. But for any business, means of production are needed. The success of our business will depend on their characteristics and resource. Fortunately, the construction industry provides a huge selection of tools, and we just need to take a closer look at it and make our choice.
So let’s turn our eyes to such an indispensable category of a tool as saws and consider how to choose a saw. The structure of our review will be as follows: we choose the type of saws, consider the scope of its application, the main characteristics, features and in the comparative table we present the main parameters of some models.
When a chain saw is indispensable:
- in confined spaces (house, garage, etc.);
- when there is no time for maintenance (preparation of the fuel mixture, etc.), and the socket is at hand;
- when a large amount of work and accuracy of the cut is important.
- timber processing.
Household saws are enough for the first two areas of application, the rest can not do without a professional tool.
- Power is the main characteristic of a chain saw. It determines the weight, tool life and cutting speed. With more power, the electric motor is not so sensitive to voltage drops in the network and is more “resistant” to withstand extreme loads during operation. The optimal value is from 1500 to 2200 watts.
- Chain thickness. 3/8 ”is the standard chain pitch for saws, with a larger thickness, greater engine power is required and the cut quality decreases, the thickness of the chain also increases, and during carpentry, this is one of the most important quality criteria.
- Tire length For saws, the optimum tire length is considered to be 30. 40 cm, with a longer length the power of the tool increases, which means that its weight grows and the convenience of working with a power tool decreases.
- Chain brake and chain lubrication system. Almost all modern saws, including the Interskol chain saw, are equipped with automatic chain brake systems, the so-called back impact protection. The presence of automatic chain lubrication makes the operation of such a tool simple, you only need to monitor the oil level and top up on time. This can be done with a special window for monitoring the oil level, and a special hole for refueling oil.
Memo! A simple and important rule of operation for chain saws: one minute of operation = 40 seconds of operation 20 seconds to “rest” the tool.
Chain saws are not intended for logging and cutting centuries-old trees. In extreme cases, if it is necessary to carry out this kind of work with the participation of this tool, it is necessary to use it in a sparing mode. Yes, it will take much more time, but otherwise your assistant will quickly "die" and a trip to the service center is guaranteed.
Ensure that the chain is properly sharpened. the saw, due to its structural features, is more sensitive to increased loads. This means that the resource for working with a dull chain is much less for a saw than for a chainsaw.
It is highly desirable to have a motor overheat protection system. Before making a choice of a saw ask the seller about its availability. It significantly extends the life of the saw.
Take chain saws with a longitudinal arrangement of the engine, for example, a Taiga saw, the ergonomics of such a tool are much better. It is very simple to find out the type of engine location; the case is long and narrow with the above version.
Chainsaw Comparison Chart
The circular saw is designed for cutting a wide variety of materials: wood, plywood, chipboard, polymers, metals. For each type of material there are special discs.
circular saw, as well as any other tool, are divided into household and professional.
- Power. There is the following division of circular saws by power: low-power (800 W), medium-power (from 800 to 1200 W) and high-power (more than 1200 W). The choice should be made depending on the volume of work and the processing material, but be sure to take a saw with a small margin of power, it will last longer.
- Depth drank. Depends on the diameter of the saw blade. Household models are characterized by a cut depth of 50. 65 mm, while a professional tool allows you to achieve a cut depth of 100. 130 mm. Household models are lighter and therefore more maneuverable. Working with them requires significantly less effort.
- The rotational speed or revolutions that a circular saw is capable of developing. The range of available revolutions varies from 1800 to 5200 per minute. What type of material you can process will depend on this characteristic. So the higher the speed, the harder the material will be "teeth" to your assistant.
- Base plate (base). There are two types: stamped steel sheet and aluminum alloy. Does not play a special role, though the first is cheaper. A more important detail is the provided ability to attach the tool to the workbench, and some manufacturers have a special bed. True, the kit is not included, but can be purchased separately. These are very convenient devices, especially in those cases when the big accuracy of a cut is important.
- Security systems. The presence of a button to protect against accidental activation is mandatory. It is located on the handle, so to turn on the device you will need to press two buttons in series. Another important safety system is the presence of a safety clutch. It works when the disk is jammed and causes it to stop. Professional tools have an electronic braking system.
Video: How to Choose the Chain Saw
Memo! Saw blades differ in the number of teeth, from 12 to 110. For clean and accurate cutting, you need disks with the number of teeth from 36. There is also a separation according to the angle of sharpening of the teeth. The tooth, which is bent along the rotation of the disk, has a positive sharpening angle, its purpose is wood and plastics. In the case when the teeth are bent against the course of rotation. a negative angle of sharpening. Such discs are designed for work with tin and non-ferrous metals.
It is good if the model of a circular saw which you liked will have protection against overloads. In such saws, when certain heating temperatures of the motor windings are reached, the tool turns off. Such a system significantly extends the service life.
Some models have a brush wear indicator. This allows you to notice and replace brushes in time. Also, to protect the electric motor, there are systems of self-shutdown in case of excessive wear of the brushes. This is useful in that it will save the engine’s operating life, and the user can easily replace worn elements.
Be sure to check the tool in operation before buying. In construction hypermarkets, this is a prerequisite, health checks in assembled form. Hold the working tool in your hands: if it lies well in your hand, is comfortable, there is no excessive vibration. take it.
Characteristics of circular saws
The jigsaw is designed to perform curly, transverse and longitudinal cutting of various kinds of sheet material.
This type of saw is indispensable in the following types of work:
- curvilinear cutting of material;
- direct cutting of almost any material, be it ceramics, laminate, metal or wood;
- figured cutting, round holes of various diameters, etc.
The main characteristics of jigsaws include:
- The frequency of reciprocating movements, for different models it ranges from 500 to 3000 stroke / min. Both saw speed and the type of material that it can process depend on this characteristic.
- Depth drank. For household jigsaws, the following cutting depth is characteristic: for wood 60. 100 mm, steel 4. 6 mm. This is considered optimal for home conditions and allows you to produce a tool with an optimal price-quality ratio.
- Cut angle. In common models, it usually does not exceed 450. This characteristic expands the scope of the tool and allows you to get to the "problem" places. The best solution would be a tool with infinitely adjustable tilt.
Memo! The length of the blade file ranges from 50 to 105 mm, in rare models up to 155 mm (for example, Wilpu). The thickness of the file is divided into two types: for direct cutting and curved (narrower).
A spindle swinging tool is desired. It has a higher cutting speed, significantly prolongs the life of the cutting blade.
Pay attention to models in which rotational. translational moves can be adjusted, for example, Bosch saw has such a function. This type of jigsaw is more versatile and reliable, since, for example, for cutting wood you need the maximum number of strokes / min, and for ceramics. they are contraindicated.
Another important nuance of jigsaws is their sole, or rather, the possibility of installing a splinterproof liner. This is a very useful element when working with ceramics and similar brittle materials.
Comparative characteristics of jigsaws
The scope of this type of saw is very extensive, from cutting boards to metal pipes. Reciprocating saw is indispensable in hard-to-reach places.
- Power. Here, as in previous types of saws, the main characteristic. Household options are usually presented from 1000 to 1600 watts. The type of material the saw will handle will also depend on this parameter. The harder the material for cutting. the more power should be.
- The frequency of the web. In domestic cases, the values usually do not exceed 2600 stroke / min. An important feature of the choice is the presence of an electronic travel controller. His "mission" is to ensure a constant speed of the blade, regardless of the level of load.
- Hacksaw blade mounting system. It is highly desirable that the device supports quick replacement, otherwise the convenience of using such a tool would be satisfactory.
For this type of saw, it is very important to have a system for adjusting the number of strokes, since it is different for different materials. The quality of the cut will depend on this.
It will not be superfluous to have the function of adjusting the depth of cut, as it allows you to reduce the wear rate of the blade. An example of such a function is presented in the video, the Makita saw is equipped with a regulator.
In turn, it will reduce the cost of operating the tool. The file’s pendulum movement system also belongs to this category, which allows the blade to be used more sparingly and increases the cut speed. It is desirable that the possibility of switching between modes be provided.
Comparison of some reciprocating saw models
Which saw to choose, you decide. We hope that the information given will help to make the right choice of a saw, and it will be a reliable assistant for many years.