When carrying out facing works of any premises with the help of tiles, it is necessary to lay not only whole tiles, but also their parts. This raises the question of how to cut tiles so that the edges are smooth. Even more important is not to break the entire tile, the cost of which is quite high. Both tasks are achievable only if the craftsmen use special tools in their work, among which are professional and expensive equipment, and cheap fixtures. When performing one-time work, you can use inexpensive tools.
How to cut a tile
Manufacturers suggest using a different tool for cutting tiles, which can be selected depending on the volumes and characteristics of the material selected for the manufacture of tiles. The tile is cut:
- glass cutter;
- electric tile cutter;
- manual tile cutter;
- tile cutters;
- angle grinder ("angle grinder").
Let us dwell on the features of the application of each of the above tools.
Tile cutting with glass cutter
Making a straight cut of a tile with a glass cutter is quite simple, but you need to tinker with curly cutting.
Perform the operation as follows:
- First, they mark with a felt-tip pen or pencil a fishing line, along which an incision will be made;
- with one hand they hold the tile, and with the other they confidently hold the glass-cutter along the intended line, while the tool is sent "to itself"; the glass cutter must be kept strictly at right angles;
- incised tiles are placed on a wooden glazing bead and hit with the palm of your hand, while the tile breaks exactly along the cut line.
Important! To work with a glass cutter, skill is needed, which is acquired with experience. Therefore, in this way, you can cut a couple of tiles. To process more tiles, more advanced tools should be used.
Manual tile cutter
A manual tile cutter allows you to take tiles whose thickness does not exceed 6 mm. It is an affordable tool that allows you to quickly cut tile fragments according to your measurements. Such a tile cutter is convenient to use for those amateur craftsmen who perform facing work with their own hands. Professionals use an electric tile cutter, which we will talk about a little later.
Important! The denser the structure of the tile, the easier it is to cut a narrow strip from it.
Handle with manual tile cutter as follows:
- markings are made on the surface of the tile using a felt-tip pen;
- the tile is laid on the base of the tool so that the wheel coincides with the markings;
- pass the wheel along the marking line once, controlling the handle of the glass cutter;
- with the help of “wings” the tile is fixed on both sides of the cut for even separation into two parts;
- with a flick of the hand they hit the handle, while receiving the desired fragment for laying out the cut row.
Video: How to Cut Ceramic Tiles on a Wall
Important! If after performing several strokes the tile remains intact, then you should not waste time on this "tough nut", taking another tile.
Electric tile cutter
This tool, equipped with a diamond blade, is the most ideal device that can handle cutting any kind of tile. At the same time, with the help of a circular saw of a tile cutter, perfectly even sections are obtained, the edges of which are slightly smooth and rounded.
An electric tile cutting machine can handle any amount of work, no matter how big it is. The design of the perfect tool is able to provide a high level of security to the person working with it.
Important! Stone tiles covered with carbide chips, it is forbidden to process with electric tile cutter. Since this results in the destruction of the diamond saw from interaction with this coating material.
The marked tile is laid on the working platform of the tile cutter and slowly, it is advanced under the diamond saw blade. At the same time, they try to hold the tile tightly, pressing it to the platform with two hands.
- When working with a power tool, goggles are used that protect the eyes from small fragments of the tile.
- The manufacturer recommends monitoring the water level in the pan and responsible for cooling the blade.
- Periodically, the water in the pan should change, as it heats up and becomes clogged with tile chips.
Using an "angle grinder"
A diamond blade mounted on an angle grinder allows you to quickly cut the tile according to the markup. With the help of this universal tool, both direct cutting of tiles and curly can be carried out. The advantage of an angle grinder over an electric tile cutter is its mobility. But it loses in quality of the resulting cut, after which the edges of the tile need additional processing (polishing).
- Work must be carried out with safety glasses and a respirator.
- The space around the workplace should be free, which will avoid the likelihood of injuries with a saw blade.
- It is advisable to work with a partner who will remove building dust with a vacuum cleaner.
How to cut tiles with nippers
Nippers are irreplaceable when cutting holes for water pipes, platbands, hoods, furnaces and other structural obstructions in a tile. A better fracture is done using nippers equipped with two carbide clamps. In this case, the upper clip cuts through the glazed surface of the tile, and the curved bottom holds the tile from the bottom. Before work, a contour is applied with a felt-tip pen, along which it is necessary to perform an incision. Rather, in this case, the tool does not cut, but bites off fragments of the tile until a recess of the desired size is obtained.
Important! Do not try to "bite off" large pieces of tile immediately, otherwise the edge will turn out to be completely sloppy. In any case, the resulting slice needs processing, which is carried out with a file or special emery paper.
Through holes in the laid tile are performed with a drill with a spear-shaped drill operating at low speeds. In this case, the drilling site is pre-glued with masking tape. When the tile layer is drilled, a drill is changed to the drill, which is suitable for working with wall material.