When answering the question of what is a stand for a drill, puncher or screwdriver, it should be noted that we are talking about a stationary device to which these tools are attached. There are various types of such devices that greatly simplify drilling. Due to the wide range of devices on the market, the choice of specific models should be approached taking into account a number of criteria.
What it is?
Making an even hole in hard and thick material is not easy. No less difficulties arise when drilling at an angle, since the drill or cutter can slide off, increasing the diameter of the hole. In such situations, the most rational solution is to use a quality drill stand. This device in combination with the drilling tool itself turns into a small-sized machine.
Now on the market are the products of many manufacturers (for every taste and budget). However, the choice of racks, holders and rails must be approached with maximum attention. Do not rule out the possibility of making devices with your own hands.
Racks for drilling equipment can significantly expand its functionality. At the same time, one of the main advantages of the equipment is its compactness and versatility. Purchased models may have different configurations (depending on the brand and cost of the product). In particular, the kit sometimes includes a vice for rigidly fastening the workpiece and other additional elements.
The vast majority of holders are compact. Based on this, they can be successfully operated in small workshops, garages and even apartments. The average dimensions of the bed are 15×20 cm, and the height of the rack is 50 cm. In this case, the mass of devices varies in the range of 2-6 kg.
Advantages and disadvantages
Regardless of the brand and price category, all racks are designed to simplify the drilling process, therefore their main advantages include some specific characteristics.
- Significant expansion of the range of capabilities of the operating tool. High-quality stand, for example, allows you to perform milling surfaces.
- Improving the accuracy of operations by positioning the drill and cutter strictly perpendicularly or at a fixed angle with respect to the material being processed.
- The ability to work with solid materials, in which one of the important points is to prevent the drill from sliding on the work surface at the initial stage.
- The ability to drill holes not only perpendicularly, but also at different angles. Modern models allow drilling at an angle of up to 70 degrees.
Given all of the above, we can say that a quality stand is not only an effective complement to the tool, but also allows you to turn it into a complete machine of compact dimensions. Unfortunately, not without obvious flaws. Most of the minuses are due to specific manufacturers flaws.
All drilling tools on the market differ from each other, primarily in terms of design features and functionality. In addition, they can be equipped with various equipment, the list of which includes, for example, a vice and dust collectors. Additional elements can simplify the operation of tools.
According to the principle of use, two categories of devices can be distinguished.
Video: How to Make a Drill Bed
- Stationary racks that turn a conventional drill, puncher or screwdriver into a compact analogue of the machine. Due to their weight and rigid construction, these products provide high accuracy of all operations. The main disadvantages include the lack of mobility and high cost.
- Mobile drilling attachments or guides, which are devices that provide acceptable drilling accuracy with minimum dimensions.
Another important criterion is the functionality of the devices under consideration.
- Racks for vertical drilling, which are universal holders and characterized by maximum stability. They often become an indispensable element of mini-workshops and assistants to home craftsmen.
- Rotary devices, which are more complex and functional equipment. In addition to moving the bracket with a fixed drilling tool in a vertical plane to set the required distance from the material being processed to the working stroke of the drill, such racks allow you to set the drilling angle. As a result, the equipment can also be used as milling or polishing.
Another mounting method is vacuum. He also proved in practice his reliability. Comparing such racks with magnetic racks, experts focus on the higher cost of the latter.
The described equipment is a comfortable and useful addition that provides quick and reliable fixation of drilling tools for stationary work with high accuracy. Given the demand, many manufacturing companies have launched the production of such devices. All models presented in this market segment differ from each other in design, functions, equipment and cost.
One of the popular brands is Encore. The company offers consumers high-quality devices for working with tools that have different characteristics (power, weight and neck diameter of the case).
Also today, in the ranking of popularity, there are other models of racks.
- "Caliber". A reliable and versatile design transforming a hand-held drilling tool into a compact, stationary machine.
- Dremel. a device characterized by functionality, long life and affordable cost. These models allow vertical drilling, drilling holes at an angle, polishing and grinding materials in a horizontal plane.
- Sparta. racks that turn both stationary drills and screwdrivers into stationary devices. The main advantages include the presence of a quality mechanism responsible for the smoothness and uniformity of the feed of a fixed tool.
- Skrab. rotary modification, which has become a rational option for use in small workshops, garages and home conditions. The design combines strength, durability and affordable cost.
In addition to all of the above, users highlight models Diolod and Artu. The former are operated with equal efficiency in domestic and industrial conditions. Depending on the modification, the diameter of the neck of the tool body varies, which can be fixed in the holder.
In the second case, we are talking about rotary devices made of aluminum. The presence of a clamp allows you to quickly install the design on any countertop.
How to choose?
Given the wide range of models offered by various manufacturing companies, the choice of the most suitable model should be approached with appropriate attention and responsibility. First of all, it is necessary to carefully examine the drill itself for the presence of a landing neck, since some equipment samples may not have it. This element is a cylinder a few centimeters long. Most drills and screwdrivers have necks of a standard diameter of 4.3 cm. In addition to the design features of the drilling tool itself, you need to pay attention to some other points.
- Parameters, material of manufacture and quality of the base plate. As practice shows, cast iron products are more practical and efficient. Another important detail will be the availability of mounting devices and holes for mounting the structure on the table and installing a vice.
- The distance between the stand itself and the axis of the drill, which determines the maximum size of the workpiece.
- Features of the holder, on which the list of instrument models suitable for rack mounting depends.
- Ability to adjust the drilling depth. This option is relevant in situations where you need to make a large number of identical holes.
- The principle of operation of the movement mechanism.
The last point deserves special attention. Some models of holders are equipped with special springs, due to which it is possible to achieve a smooth movement of the drill. Another advantage of such designs is the automatic return of the holder to its original position when reducing pressure on the lever.