Before purchasing a furry and very mobile animal, it is necessary to arrange a place for it to live. Like all rodents, chinchillas love to try everything on the tooth. An animal running around the house freely is the bitten furniture, baseboards, walls, and electrical wires. It is not only outraged by the owners, but also a danger to the chinchilla itself.
Cages for chinchillas can be divided into two large groups: for fur farms and home maintenance.
For a home, you can make a cage 80 cm high. But most chinchilla growers prefer to make a display cage. Feature of a show-window: height considerably exceeds width and length. The side walls can be tightened with a metal wall or be completely wooden. Often an old cabinet is reworked into a chinchilla display case. For the same reason, sometimes a showcase looks like a nightstand.
How to make a showcase from the old cabinet?
The main requirement for the cage for chinchillas is the floor area. One animal should account for 0.4 square meters. m, that is, one mx 0.4 m. The length and width of the cell, in this case, are not dogma – dimensions can be proportionally changed. For more animals, the cell area is increased accordingly.
The old wardrobe is convenient because it requires a minimum of labor when converting it into a chinchilla house. But it is also dangerous since cabinets are usually made of chipboard. If the animal tries chipboard for a tooth, it can be poisoned.
- Doors are removed from the cabinet and converted from inside for animals.
- If there are shelves, they are partially cut, so that chinchillas can move up and down freely.
- If shelves were not provided in the closet, freedom of creativity appears. Shelves for chinchillas can be placed to your liking.
- From above in the cabinet cut out a hole for air circulation. Hole tighten the metal grid.
- Instead of the cabinet doors, wooden frames are made, covered with a metal grid. You can simplify your work and make the frame of the “native” doors, cutting holes in them along the entire length. Leave only the strip around the perimeter of the door width of about 10 cm.
- Ideal if the cabinet was with the bottom drawers. Then in the main part of the showcase they clean the floor and replace it with a grid. Under the grid place the tray for litter, feed and garbage. In this case, do not have to open the entire storefront to clean the cage from chinchillas.
- If desired, the side walls of the cabinet can also be made mesh.
Showcase from scratch.
In the manufacture of windows from scratch, you need a solid rear shield made of wood and bars for the frame. Everything else can be tightened with a metal grid. In addition, you will also need:
- self-tapping screws;
- hinges for doors;
- PVC tape.
Since the showcase is made individually, taking into account the size of the room in which the chinchilla will live, and the location in the room of other furniture, the drawings usually do not. On the spot, measure the length, width and height of the future showcase and calculate the required amount of materials. An exemplary drawing of the future showcase looks like this:
The vertical supports of the frame also serve as legs at the same time if the floor in the display case is mesh and the garbage can is under it.
Sometimes the storefront is placed in the corner of the room. But the corner window for chinchillas is more challenging to manufacture and requires at least minimal woodworking skills.
For such a showcase, you need two solid shields, shot down at a right angle. It’s not difficult for a carpenter to make a similar corner showcase, while other chinchilla owners can make their work easier by remaking the old corner cabinet for the needs of chinchillas.
With short maintenance of animals after them will have to do repairs.
A simpler version of the corner window can be made by using walls to enclose the space.
- A couple of vertical bars of the required height are stuffed on the walls. They must cover the habitable part of the storefront.
- Two horizontal bars are nailed on top of these bars.
- It is best if the metal mesh is located inside the cage. That is, first a grid is attached to the upper bars, then the bars are nailed to the wall.
- Bottom carry out a similar operation.
- To protect the wall from trying to sharpen teeth on it, the sides can also be covered with a metal grid.
- If you fear that a chinchilla will injure the mesh of the foot, the bottom is made of a solid wooden or plastic shield. The same applies to “ordinary” windows. In this case, a suitable pallet for excrement is placed on the bottom of the display case or the tree is covered with a waterproof, dense material.
- Mesh doors are attached to the vertical side bars. You can make two doors, one can be wide. Also for the convenience of cleaning, you can split the doors vertically, making them open independently. Then for cleaning the window will be enough to open only the lower half.
- Inside the shop windows at various levels they fasten shelves along which chinchillas will run.
After the main part of the future home is ready, the heads of all bolts and screws are closed with plugs, as chinchillas often try to sharpen their teeth about them. So that the animal does not gnaw the wooden bars, they are pasted over with PVC tape.
If you put a drinker and a feeder in a cage, the dwelling will already be ready to receive the inhabitants. But for the comfortable life of chinchillas in the window will need additional equipment.
How to equip a cage for chinchilla?
With only shelves, the animal will feel uncomfortable. Chinchillas are good jumpers, but they are far from squirrels. Therefore, between the shelves will need to make transitions. In addition, as night animals, chinchillas need shelter where they can sleep in the daytime. First of all animals need a house.
Making the house.
The appearance of the house depends solely on the imagination and skill of the owner of the chinchilla. The main requirement is that it should fit. In too large a shelter, the animal will feel discomfort, and in too small it will be cramped. The simplest version of the house in the photo below. This is a wooden box with sawed entrance.
A more complex version of a large house for a large chinchilla also provides the possibility of attaching a wooden hemp-delicacy to the house.
The rest of the owner’s imagination is not limited. You can make houses in several floors, with several entrances or decorate them with carvings.
Nursery for hay.
Feeder is used for feeding grain concentrates and various dried fruits to animals. For hay should be provided for a separate place. You can make a miniature nursery of the classical form.
Although animals are often equal in size, the rabbit is not adapted to wade through very narrow gaps. What is safe for rabbits can be a life-threatening chinchilla. In the photo below, the chinchilla just climbed into a hay ball for rabbits and cannot get out of it on its own.
Feeding trough, drinking bowl, nursery, lodge, pallet, and washer – in the window now has everything you need chinchilla, except for the town for physical activity.
Chinchillas are animals prone to obesity, and they need active movement in the same way as food and water. You can make chinchillas move by building comfortable routes for climbing in the “town”.
The town include:
- running wheel for chinchillas;
- shelves fixed at different levels;
- transitions between the shelves.
A variety of transitions is limited only by the imagination and skill of the owner of the chinchilla.
It can be:
- suspension bridges;
The only requirement for all these products is natural wood without paint and varnish. You can make the transitions from the unwalked branches of edible tree species. And periodically change.
The role of the transition, toys, and places to rest at the same time performs hanging in the window hammock for a chinchilla. It is made of dense non-stretching fabric. Good fit, denim. Fixed so that the chinchilla could jump into the hammock, but could not shake him much.
For the manufacture of the wheel will need:
- 2 sheets of plywood with a side of at least 40 cm and a thickness of at least 1 cm;
- up to 10 figured meter rails;
- tension automobile bearing;
- 12 mm drill bit;
- self-tapping screws;
- 2 bolts with a diameter of 12 mm: long and short;
- washers for bolts;
- nuts for bolts;
- Find pieces in plywood pieces and drill holes. The electric fretsaw cut out two circles of 30 cm in diameter.
- One is left, another circle is cut out from the other, 25–27 cm in diameter. From this circle, only a large circle will be needed.
- The slats are cut into pieces about 15 cm long. The size of the slats depends on the chinchilla. The animal must fit freely in the wheel.
- Cut slats tightly attached to the ends of the circle and cut circle.
- They put a washer on a long bolt, insert the bolt from the inside into the wheel, put on another washer and fasten the construction with a nut.
- A bolt hole is drilled in the window.
- The center of the bearing is aligned with the hole in the wall, and the bearing is screwed with screws.
- The wheel with the bolt is inserted into the bearing and tightened with a nut from the outside of the display case.
Now in the window, everything is collected for the happy life of chinchillas. It remains only to figure out what is a walking ball.
Ball for chinchilla.
It is a device that a chinchilla should not have. The plastic ball very well passes infrared rays and heats up from the inside. Chinchillas do not tolerate heat well. Enough half an hour in such a bowl that the animal died.
In such a ball, some careless owners of small animals let them “walk” in the open air and eat green grass falling in the crevices of the ball. Juicy feed chinchilla is contraindicated. And the stress of walking is much more harmful than staying in a spacious shop window.
Chinchilla cage on a fur farm is almost the same as a rabbit. Of the differences, only an extra shelf above the cage floor and a passage for the male, which on the farm mates immediately with 4–8 females. Make a cage for chinchilla fur, too, can be your own hands.
This will require:
- galvanized mesh;
- scissors for cutting metal;
- The grid is laid out and cut into pieces.
- To one of the side parts tightly attach additional shelf.
- Then fasten all parties with clips.
- In the front part of the cage, they cut out the door and hang it on the fixings.
- In the side walls make the passage for the male chinchilla and cover it with a small tunnel. The tunnel is needed for the male to rest.
- Placed in a cage feeder, drinker, nursery and house and run chinchillas.
In case of need, the houses themselves are made in the same way as for rabbits.
A chinchilla will take a lot of joy and will live a long time if it has the opportunity not only to eat right, but also to move a lot. For active movement requires a lot of space, and industrial store cells are too small for this. Therefore, most chinchilla owners prefer to make showcases for their animals with their own hands.