What can be done from the trimmer yourself to facilitate everyday work or for entertainment? Such a question arises if there is an old unnecessary device, or if a technician is required for work, which, when manufactured at the factory, is much more expensive than a gasoline or electric braid. In practice, craftsmen implemented many options. The main ones are a motorbike, a snow blower, an ice ax, devices for cultivating a land plot and mowing lawns, a saw, and snowmobile equipment. In order to bring the idea to life, in each case, you will need to use a certain set of tools and additional materials.
If there is a summer house or just a plot of land, then the cultivator will help to facilitate the cultivation of the soil. Traditionally, a chopper is used for these purposes, but working with it takes a lot of time and effort. Using a cultivator will reduce labor costs, and the whole process will take a shorter time period. Factory-made equipment is expensive, so with limited funds, the question arises of self-assembly of the cultivator. For this, both gas trimmers and electric braids are suitable.
To create the simplest model of technology, you should stock up on such tools and materials:
- angle grinder with a set of discs (suitable diameter – 125 mm) for metal;
- drill with drills of various diameters;
- welding machine;
- jigsaw or hacksaw for metal;
- an emery machine with two abrasive wheels of different grain sizes;
- functioning gas trimmer;
- a steel tube suitable in diameter for the lawn-mowing shaft;
- hand tools: wrenches, hammer, pliers, core, roulette and marker;
- a sheet of metal with a thickness of 3 to 5 mm and a minimum size of 1010 cm.
Manufacturing process begin from the working part. For this purpose, curved rods of garden pitchfork will serve. Their recommended length is from 10 to 15 cm – this is enough to carry out loosening the soil.
The working nozzle is made in the following sequence:
- flatten the teeth of the forks to a width of 1 cm;
- on emery, using a circle with a small abrasive, grind milling cutters;
- using a jigsaw, a circle with a diameter of 10 cm is cut from the metal;
- process it on an emery machine to achieve an almost perfect shape;
- at regular intervals, the prepared cutters are welded to the metal circle (recommended amount is 3).
With more than 3 pieces, the number of cutters, the load on the equipment greatly increases.
The recommended power of the gasoline engine should be two horsepower (approximately 1.5 kW) or more.
At the next stage, it is necessary to attach a mill for weeding on the trimmer. The process is greatly simplified when available reverse thread, located on the end of the shaft of the lawn mowers, on which the manufactured working part is simply wound. For this, a tube with a nut is pre-welded to the mill.
In the presence of locksmith experience and welder skills, it is quite simple to remake the trimmer into a cultivator. Financial costs are negligible. If an electric braid is used in the work, then you will need to think about an extension cord so that it reaches the entire processed area.
DIY lawn mower
The lawn mower facilitates the process of caring for decorative grassy plants, and also speeds up the work in the presence of large areas that need to be processed. There are many ready-made, easy-to-use models on the market for such equipment, but they are expensive, so they are not available to everyone. They also quickly fail in the presence of large weeds and stones on the site. Homemade products are much cheaper than factory counterparts, moreover, they are more practical in work.
The components of the design of the lawn mower are:
- an engine (gasoline or electric), which is the basis of the created mechanism;
- a frame designed to fix on it all the parts of the device;
- casing for protection;
- handles and wheels;
- control unit of the created unit.
The recommended power of the engine used in the operation is from 0.5 kW (slightly less than 1 horsepower), and ideal – 1 kW or more.
Craftsmen have invented many different ways of converting a trimmer into a lawn mower. The simplest option is presented in the video:
Very common in practice wireframe option homemade device. Tools and materials for independent implementation of the project will be required the same as in the previous case. Plus still need:
- a sheet of plywood (or metal 3-4 mm thick);
- metal corner 25×25 mm;
- 2 m pipes of different diameters.
The manufacturing process is as follows:
- a rectangular frame of 50×60 cm is welded from a corner;
- in the corners set the wheels of the right size, which can be taken even from old toys;
- on top of the frame, plywood cut to its size is fixed or metal is welded;
- in the center of the cart make a hole for the trimmer bar and mounts for it;
- make a knife or choose a suitable finished option;
- then fix the lawn mowing on the trolley;
- set the knife;
- mount a casing at the back of the trolley to protect against the scattered grass flying in different directions;
- begin to test the device.
Important! The diameter of the wheels is selected so that the knives do not reach the soil centimeters 5.
There are many ways to make knives, and their shape (design) is radically different. In this case, various materials and old tools are used (for example, an old saw on wood). The main principle is that the knives are well sharpened and balanced – this is necessary to prevent vibration of the equipment during operation.
It is often found that they do not use the old lawn mowing, but only the engine from the trimmer and its control unit. In this case, you will need to make handles for the trolley and fix all the structural details on the frame.
When assembling the mower and while working with it, be sure to adhere to safety precautions, to avoid injury. A bag can also be attached to the machine to collect mowed grass.
We make a motorbike
From an ordinary bicycle, home craftsmen managed to make a more practical vehicle – they rearranged the engine from the lawn mowers on it. At the same time, options are implemented with both a gasoline engine and an electric motor.
Required Tools, Materials, and Parts
Electrical engine the bike is powered by a battery, which, depending on the power of the unit (it is taken 0.35-1.2 kW), lasts from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
For alteration of the bicycle are used two or four stroke gasoline engines. The latter option consumes less fuel and is not so noisy during operation. Recommended power is from 1.5 hp, and the best option is 2 hp. When using a motor with a lower parameter, the bike will barely ride or will not be able to move at all.
The rotational movement from a gas engine to a bicycle wheel occurs using belt or chain drive. Because of this, you will additionally need to do the following details:
- metal suspension in the form of a frame with sides to fasten the motor to the bicycle frame;
- driven and driving pulleys or sprockets for attachment to the engine and wheel, respectively.
Using a chain drive from a practical point of view is preferable to a belt one because the belt wears out faster, especially if it gets wet regularly.
To implement the project you will need to choose suitable gear. After installing the pulleys, choose the right belt size.
The dimensions of the frame for the engine depend on its size. The suspension itself to the frame of the motorbike is fixed:
- bolted connection;
- by welding.
The last option for strength is the best if the welder is good. If the design of the bicycle frame allows, then suspension replaced with a clamp, which fix the engine. This mounting option is more practical. The method of fixing the motor should be convenient, reliable and allow you to quickly remove it if necessary.
Doing all the work with your own hands in the presence of an old, functioning trimmer, a bicycle and a small set of tools will require time and patience from the performer.
Construction Assembly Sequence
In order to independently assemble a bike with a gasoline-powered engine, you will need, in addition to the materials and parts discussed, also:
- cable for adjusting the operation of the motor;
- welded exhaust pipe;
- chain tensioner.
Assembling a motorbike is carried out according to this algorithm:
- put an asterisk on the rear bicycle wheel;
- the motor is fixed with a clamp (with an asterisk on the shaft) on the frame behind the seat or on the trunk, if the design features of the bicycle allow, otherwise it will be necessary to choose another convenient place for this purpose;
- put the chain on the sprocket wheel and motor;
- attach the tensioner;
- adjust the chain tension;
- fix the gas handle;
- they pull a cable from it to the engine;
- fasten the fuel tank;
- Mount the carburetor.
For personal safety when operating a motorbike, they modernize the braking system, change tire covers to non-slip products, check the integrity and stability in movement of the created structure. After the entire structure is assembled, it is tested, having previously examined for imperfections.
Preference is given to disc brakes.
Homemade snow blower
There are a lot of options for creating snow removal equipment based on a trimmer. The easiest way to upgrade is to replace the knife with a rotor. Such a snow blower works like a shovel, but they just move it in the snow: the device rakes it and carries it to the side.
To implement the planned alteration, you will need such materials and tools:
- a lawn mow with a direct boom, at the end of which a gearbox is installed;
- a metal barrel, even a beer one, for example, from the Baltika drink;
- a mill from a trimmer with many teeth (used to mow thick thickets of grass);
- drill with drills;
- angle grinder and welding machine.
Instead of a keg, you can use a thin sheet of metal (tin) with a thickness of 1.5 mm.
The assembly process of the snow blower is performed in the following sequence:
- cut in a circle, departing from the bottom of 15 cm, the barrel;
- make a hole for the lawn mowing gear in the bottom and drill 3 more small holes to fix its shield;
- a side 10 x 10 cm square is cut out to throw snow through it;
- a third of the open front of the barrel is covered with a piece of metal (tin), while the hole for the ejection should be located on the center line of the shutter;
- make a rotor;
- make a deflector that will direct the ejected snow in the right direction;
- weld it to the body at the location of the hole for the release of snow mass;
- fasten the bottom of the scapula;
- install the lawn mowing gear and fasten with bolts;
- They put the rotor like a simple working knife.
The deflector is done like this:
- a strip is cut out of metal with a width of 15 cm and a length of 30 cm;
- slightly bend the workpiece;
- welded on the long sides of the sides 10 cm high so that snow does not scatter at the exit.
The rotor is made in the following sequence:
- cut rectangular strips measuring 25 by 10 cm from the metal sheet;
- cut and grind the plates in the form of blades;
- they are welded with a cross to the lawn-mowing disc.
From the remnants of the material make a spatula. To do this, use a piece of tin 30 to 40 cm. The edges are bent along the long sides to form a two-centimeter rim.
Do-it-yourself snow removal mechanism should be used at full throttle – this will extend the life of the device, because frequent pressing of the gas leads to engine breakdown. It is difficult to connect thin metal by welding, because it easily burns through it. Therefore, the work must be performed by an experienced welder.
lawn mowing can be converted into an ice drill. Factory analogues are quite complex and powerful devices. Structurally, the technique is a screw connected to the engine (in most cases two-stroke units are installed). Industrial devices are equipped automatic security systems, which turn off the ice drill in the event of a malfunction and exclude the possibility of an accidental start. The models also differ in the number of speeds: one- or two-speed.
For fans of winter fishing, buying a factory unit is unprofitable, and using a hand-held device with a large thickness of ice is hard to work with. It will help to save energy and money by remaking the old trimmer into an ice drill.
In addition to lawn mowers, a drill (factory or homemade) and tools for assembling the final structure will be needed in the work. The difficulty lies in attaching the working part to the trimmer. Much depends on the current model of lawn mowers.
The following videos show how an ice drill made from a trimmer works:
The last video contains a possible option for attaching the drill to the lawn mower.
Compared to industrial counterparts, a homemade ice drill is low power device, but for drilling holes is enough with the head. Also, the device weighs little, which makes it easy to transport.
Other homemade options
Thanks to an economical and reliable engine, the trimmer is the basis for many other homemade products. Below we briefly describe the possible options and provide video instructions for their implementation.
Converting a trimmer into a chainsaw
Gasoline lawn mowers can also make a chainsaw. To translate the rationalization idea into reality will need old device models. All items will be taken from them. The video below presents the result.
Converting the trimmer into a gas saw is to install this part from the lawn mowers instead of its own engine.
Making a snowmobile for kids
The trimmer can also be converted into a snowmobile. The process is to install the engine on a structure equipped with skis. Due to the insufficient power of the motors available on the lawn mowers, the created independent technique is capable of transporting only a relatively small weight. She also moves on a relatively flat terrain. Such homemade work will serve as an interesting and useful toy for children.
The snowmobile is driven by a screw or chain drive.
The videos below show some possible options for home-made equipment:
Home craftsmen have come up with many different ways to adapt the motor from a trimmer to a snowmobile. Here, the limitations are related to personal imagination and the existing list of unnecessary devices and equipment that can be used to create homemade snowmobiles.
lawn mowers can be converted into a motor drill, which will also be used as an ice drill if necessary. As a result, construction work will accelerate and require less labor. They make recesses under the posts of fences, the foundation of piles and for the erection of other structures with a motor-drill.
Redo for this purpose, both electric and gas trimmers.
In addition to the bicycle, the lawn mowing engine is also mounted on a scooter. The assembly principle is similar to creating a motorbike, only in this case the design features of the scooter are taken into account.
The video below shows airplane, whose motor is taken from a gasoline spit.
Having at your disposal an old working and unnecessary trimmer, you can make various technical devices with your own hands, not only discussed above. Own imagination will tell you different options. But, when creating any device, you should remember that it would be safe for people around and using it.